Thursday 24 May 2012

Friends of the Oxford Botanic Garden Plant Sale - Sunday

A multinational tray of Sedum: from top S. × rubrotinctum 'Aurora' (Mexico); S. glomerulifolium (Ethiopia), S. hokanense 'Chocolate Ball' (Japan); S. album (in this case from Mt Olympus =  S. athoum); S. rupestre 'Angelina' (Europe)

The Friends of the Oxford Botanic Garden Plant Sale will be held at the Harcourt Arboretum, Nuneham Courteney, OX44 9PX, on Sunday from 11 a.m to 4 pm - free entry. This biennial event is noted for the keennness of the buyers and the diversity of plants on offer.

For the first time the Oxford & District Alpine Garden Society Group has its own stall, promoting both ourselves and the sorts of plants we grow, though all proceeds go to the Friends as part of their fund-raising effort. I've been busy growing plants for the sale since last autumn and a consignment has gone off today - I'll take the rest myself on Saturday. Preparing a nice diversity of material that would be looking good in late May has been an interesting challenge. Among the things I've grown I'd highlight Dactylorhiza ×grandis, Hosta yingeri and Primula 'Ann Smith', while Saxifraga 'Wallacei', with a pedigree back to Reginald Farrer's Clapham Nursery, is something of a historic plant.  I know that other members are providing good plants too, so I think there are sufficient things there to tempt anyone with an interest in good plants. Unfortunately I can't go myself, as the garden at Colesbourne Park is also open that day - but I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Some of the plants for the FOBG Plant Sale grown at Colesbourne.

1 comment:

  1. I love Sedum 'Aurora'. I just started a flat of cuttings to plant in the garden. WE call that species the baked bean plant, which should be fun for the English to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.